A Place to Feel at Home

By the 1960’s, we were beginning to outgrow the building at Routes 27 and 80 so additional land was purchased to accommodate for future growth. In 1965, preliminary drawings were prepared and fund-raising began for a building that would house Sunday school rooms, a Pastor’s study, kitchen and a fellowship room. In 1969, it was discovered that a relocation of Route 27 would bring the road within a few feet of the boundary of our proposed new building. Our land was sold and we purchased an 11 ½ acre tract, with access to Route 80, where the present church stands. In 1972 ground was broken and the building was completed… Read More

Continue Reading

A Church by any other name…

The 1905 church was a frame building with weatherboarding and cost approximately $4000 to construct. It was built, for the most part, by local congregation members. This church had a tall steeple that housed a bell which was donated by one of the lifetime members. A few of the interior accommodations were transferred from the old building, some were factory-made, but most were hand-built by parishioners. The old foot-pedal organ was moved from the previous building and remained in use until the early 1920’s when it was replaced by a piano (which was the trend in most churches at the time). By 1953, when organs came back into vogue, a… Read More

Continue Reading

A Fork in the Road

The Montgomery Chapel Church, or Montgomery Church as it was known by the local folks, was built using lumber from surrounding farms and labor was furnished by local carpenters and masons. The men sat on one side of the aisle and the ladies on the other. On the men’s side, some spots on the floor were of a darker color due to many bad aims towards spittoons. A step up from the old Brown’s Chapel, this building had a balcony. In 1884, the Browningsville Band was formed and entertained at the annual church picnic, which was always held the third Saturday in July. This tradition continues today at our August… Read More

Continue Reading

In the Beginning…

Montgomery United Methodist Church traces its history to 1844 when a group of dedicated Christians began to meet for worship and prayer. In 1846, these pioneers erected a small log cabin on what is now Browns Church Road. Called Brown’s Chapel, this non-denominational church was first served by local laymen and, occasionally, by a circuit rider. Meetings were lengthy, sometimes lasting until mid-night. Transportation to the chapel was by oxen, horse and on foot. Lighting was provided by candles and kerosene lamps. Brown’s Chapel remained non-denominational from 1846 until it was deeded to the trustees of Brown’s Chapel, Methodist Protestant Church in 1860. As the church’s population increased, the congregation… Read More

Continue Reading