The Montgomery Chapel Church, or Montgomery Church as it was known by the local folks, was built using lumber from surrounding farms and labor was furnished by local carpenters and masons. The men sat on one side of the aisle and the ladies on the other. On the men’s side, some spots on the floor were of a darker color due to many bad aims towards spittoons. A step up from the old Brown’s Chapel, this building had a balcony.
In 1884, the Browningsville Band was formed and entertained at the annual church picnic, which was always held the third Saturday in July. This tradition continues today at our August church picnic, more than 130 years later!
In 1882, three-quarters of an acre of land, adjacent to the church, was purchased and became the Montgomery Cemetery. Before that time, most families had their own burial grounds.
In 1882, three-quarters of an acre of land was purchased and became the Montgomery Cemetery. Before that time, most families had their own burial grounds.
The choir was quite large and sang acappella since musical instruments were considered sacrilegious in those days. Several years after the church was constructed, an organ was purchased with the salesman serving as organist for a time while some of the members of the congregation were trained. In 1904, ground was broken for a new church building, also at the fork of routes 27 and 80, but further into the triangle where the present brick church now sits. The new building was dedicated in 1905 and the tenure of the “1871” version of the Montgomery Chapel Church came to an end.