|6||Pastor Ken McDonald’s First Sunday|
|7-11||Vacation Bible School – 9:00 am – noon|
|13||Welcome Picnic for Pastor Ken and family|
2015 Winter Basketball League | for children 4 to 7 years
Please click on this link to fill-out and download our registration form:
The history of the Montgomery congregation dates back to 1846 when an acre of ground was purchased from Nicholas Watkins for the construction of Brown’s Chapel, a log cabin near the border of Montgomery and Howard counties. Laymen conducted on-denominational Christian services, with occasional visits by circuit riders. In 1860 Brown’s Chapel was deeded to Brown’s Chapel Methodist Protestant Church.
At the site of the chapel on Brown Church Road a stone bearing the words “Brown’s Chapel – Founded 1846″ was dedicated at the site in 1903. The stone represents the historical location of a log cabin church that served a rural community of dedicated Christians as the center of their religious, cultural and social lives during Civil War times.
A building to replace Brown’s Church was dedicated in 1871 at the intersection of Buffalo and Quaker Roads, now known as Route 27 or Ridge Road, and Route 80 or Kemptown Road, respectively. The church was renamed Montgomery Chapel Methodist Protestant Church.
In the early 1940′s Sunday school rooms were added to the renamed Montgomery Church, along with brick facing. In 1960 the steeple was replaced with a bell tower and in 1962 the church became a station church. With the merger of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church, the church took on its current name of Montgomery United Methodist Church.
During the 1960′s the church’s plans to build a new facility on the opposite side of Route 27 were stymied by a proposed Damascus bypass due to be built in the next 10 years. The road was never built but because of this setback the church changed its course and purchased land on Route 80, where ground was broken in 1972 for the first section of the current structure.
In 1973 special services were held to consecrate the new Educational Building and Fellowship Hall, where services and other church functions were held. In 1979 the church at the intersection was sold to the First Church of God.
A new sanctuary was added and dedicated in 1992. As the congregation of Montgomery United Methodist Church moves and grows, the traditions of Christian love and service continue as they began so long ago in a simple log cabin.
Sunday School for Children and Youth
9:30 – 10:30 am
Click on the link below to download our Sunday School Registration Form:
- Classes available for toddlers, preschoolers, each elementary grade, middle school and senior high
10:45 – 12:00 noon
- A multi-level class is available for children preschool – 5th grade
9:30 – 10:30 am and 10:45 – 12:00 noon
- Ongoing classes and a variety of short-term electives are offered each week.
- Topics include such things as: studies on individual books of the Bible, faith issues (spiritual gifts, discipleship, contentment, etc.), and life issues (marriage, stress, parenting, etc.).
- Current class listings are posted in the lobby of both the sanctuary and education wings.
- Youth in grades 7 and up are invited to join in the Confirmation Journey in preparation for full membership within Montgomery United Methodist Church.
- Confirmation classes begin in February and continue through May.
- Confirmation activities are coordinated by the Pastor, the Youth Coordinator and the Christian Education Director.
Youth and Adult Small Groups
- Various small study and discipleship groups are available, meeting at different times throughout the week.
- Some meet in the church building, some in homes
- Some are for women only, some men only, youth or couples.
- Study groups meet for a few months up to a few years – depending on the needs and interests of the group.
Vacation Bible School
- VBS is offered during one week each summer, usually in July
- This half day program features worship, age level classroom activities, drama, music, crafts and recreation
- VBS is open to the entire community, with registration beginning in April.
Montgomery Methodist Children’s Center
An accredited Christian preschool for children ages 2-5.
- Sessions of 3 or 4 hours are offered in combinations of 2, 3, 4 and 5 days a week. Tuition is charged.
- For information or to register, contact the school directly at (301) 253-4884 or click below to access the school’s website.
MISSION & OUTREACH
Caregiver Support Group
Started in 2008, the group is open to members and non-members of Montgomery UMC.
The group discusses difficulties as well as positive experiences while caring for a loved one who is suffering from Alzheimer’s, cancer or any other illness that renders their loved one incapable of caring for themselves. Each member receives valuable feedback that is helpful to all in attendance. The group also invites outside speakers to come and speak about topics related to caregiving for a loved one.
If you have a family member or friend for whom you are a part-time or full-time caregiver, please plan on joining us. We would love to have you join us whether you want to participate or just listen to the helpful discussions that take place during each meeting!
For more information, please contact the group’s facilitator, Bill Bugg at 301-831-9779 or call the church office at 301-253-4460.
“But you will receive the power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be
witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
Damascus HELP provides assistance to needy persons and families in the upper portion of Montgomery County and adjacent areas in the form of emergency food, holiday food baskets and gifts. Transportation, furniture and emergency financial assistance are also available.
Faith Connections with the help of a part-time community social worker and partnering with Damascus HELP, area churches, organizations and individuals, is providing assistance to area families facing homelessness by helping to prevent evictions and foreclosures. Faith Connections also provides mentoring and life skills training to single mothers and after school programs for at-risk youth in the community.
Youth for Christ as a part of the body of Christ, vision is to see every young person in every people group in every nation have the opportunity to make an informed decision to be a follower of Jesus Christ and become a part of the local church. In the Frederick area, YFC engages with Middle and High School youth in addressing the problems and concerns facing today’s teens.
Good News Jail and Prison Ministry attempts to meet the spiritual needs of both inmates and staff through ministry that includes evangelism, discipleship, and pastoral attention, while facilitating other religious faiths within the guidelines established by law and the individual correctional facility.
Chinese Outreach Ministries is giving Christ to China’s future leaders through committed staff and volunteers sharing Christ’s love and truth with Chinese scholars and researchers at universities in North America.
Grace Covenant International Ministries with Ken and Cathie Metz, are partnering with local churches in Peru and are helping towns and villages gripped by drug and violent cultures transform into healthy and productive societies.
Compassion International exists as a Christian child advocacy ministry that releases children from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enables them to become responsible, fulfilled Christian adults. This program is supported by the offerings received in the children’s Sunday school program.
Since our founding in 1846, the people of Montgomery United Methodist Church in Damascus, Maryland have sought to be faithful followers of Christ in the community and around the world. We believe that the heart of the community has been, is, and will be – the Church.
We welcome all people in search of God’s teaching and love to visit and become part of our church family. We hope to build upon our great heritage of the love of God and service to our community and the world. Please join us for one of our celebration services.
W E L C O M E P A S T O R K E N M C D O N A L D